What you need:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 70g butter, melted and cooled
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- cinnamon, to taste
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
What you do:
- Lay your sheet of puff pastry out on a piece of greaseproof paper and brush the melted butter all over., leaving a little behind for later.
- Crumble the soft brown sugar evenly over the pastry, making sure there are no gaps and the sugar is nice and even. On top of that, sprinkle some cinnamon straight from the jar. How much you use is up to you, I used enough to be able to see the thin layer of cinnamon sitting on top of the sugar.
- Now roll up the pastry carefully lengthways using the greaseproof paper to help you form it into a log shape. Cut the log into 12 evenly sized slices then put them flat side down onto a lined baking sheet leaving plenty of space in between. Brush the tops with a little extra butter and cook the swirls in an oven at 200°c for around 15 minutes, until the swirls have expanded and are golden and puffy.
- Leave the cinnamon swirls to cool on a rack whilst you make the icing. Mix the icing sugar in a bowl with a couple of drops of water to make a runny icing. Drizzle this over the cooled pastries and leave them to set. You are then ready to eat!
These are incredibly sweet but the perfect size to enjoy as a treat with a nice cup of tea or coffee and can be whipped up so quickly whenever you need a little something.